Love is Only the Beginning: Chapter Eleven (+13)

by Kay Kay

I placed both hands flat on the table; looking at the certificates. Maybe there was some clue that would tell me why Jessie had all these things dealing with my life.

The light from the lantern shot out in all directions across the table. There was something different about the items that lye on the table. They had been moved around, and in the center of the mess was a book, a thick black book.

I started to reach for it, when suddenly I heard footsteps coming up the stairs. Oh no, I thought, what do I do? The footsteps were getting closer and closer.

Not knowing what else to do, I blew out the lantern, and crawled under the table. Hugging my knees tightly against me, I watched as a strand of light came from the stairs. It grew bigger and bigger as the person became closer to the entrance.

My husband stepped into the room, and began his way towards the table I sat under. “Susannah?” he asked. “Are you in here?”

I held my breath as he reached the table. “Now where did I put that book?” he asked himself aloud. “Ah, here you are.”

He was doing something above me.

That is when the book fell to the floor, right in front of me. He started to reach beneath the table to retrieve it. His hand was going in my direction. There was nowhere for me to go. Please, God, I prayed. Please help me get out of this.

Jessie’s fingers were only inches away from my skirts when out of the blue the doorbell rang. He rose back up.

As soon as he had left the room, I scrambled to my feet, and made a dash down the stairs to the library, taking the book with me. I had to get out of there before my husband made it back.

On my way out, I dropped the book, but did not pick it up. Instead, I ran the rest of the way to the bedroom without turning back. I threw myself across the bed, panting.

“Susannah, where are you?” It was he.

“In the bedroom,” I called out, making my voice sound normal.

“Would you mind coming down to the dining area for a moment?”

“Actually, I was going to take a nap.”

“Well, then, I will be right up,” he called.

I did not move, for I was afraid that if I did, it would give myself away. So I simply just laid there on my stomach, looking out the open window.

A second later, I felt weight on the edge of the bed as Jessie lay down on his back beside me. “We need to talk,” he informed me, playing with a curl in my hair.

“What about?” I asked, not looking at him.

“Last night.”

“What about it?”

I finally looked at him. His green eyes were serious, as well as the rest of his face.

“I am really sorry, Susannah, I was drunk…after our fight, I went out and had a few drinks with the men you met yesterday,” my husband exclaimed. “Did I hurt you?”

“Well, there is a bruise on my right cheek, and my heart is crushed,” I informed him bitterly. “I am not sorry for biting you though.”

“I deserve not to be forgiven.”

“True.”

“But darling, I am not sorry about what we did.”

“Do not you mean, what you did, Mister Lafayette?” I sneered, looking away.

Jessie placed one hand on one side of my face, and forced me to look at him. “Susannah,” he said. “I love you…and some day you will love me too.”

“Do not get your hopes up.”

He took hold of my right arm, pulled me to him saying, “You will.”

Then, he tilted his head slightly to the left and brought his lips to mine. For some unknown reason, when he laid his head back down onto the bed, I leaned down, and kissed him. It only lasted a second.

“What was that for?” he asked.

“For apologizing….”

Unexpectedly, Jessie pushed me away, and stood up. Perplexed, I looked up at him to see what was the matter.

“Do not forgive me, Susannah. At least not yet anyway.”

“Jessie, I do not understand.”

“There is something you must know before you start to fall for me.”

That did it. Something inside me just snapped. I stood to my feet yelling, “Who said I was falling for you? How could I be falling for someone who forces people to do of their will even if it means hurting them?”

“For the reason that you and I are meant to be together…and you know it.”

Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:34 am
SuzieCake wrote a review...

Okay, before I say anything at all, I'm going to let you know that I'm loving this, and yes, I am hooked. Just remember that if I don't say it anymore. :)

Now... on to the things I don't like about this chapter...

1) It doesn't tell what happened between Susannah and Jessie after he found her.
2) I want to know how she mananged to get back into the secret room, but you didn't say.
3) Why would he be asking if Susannah were in the secret room if she really wasn't supposed to know about it?

And now some questions...

1) If she grabbed the book and took it with her, why did she not grab it when she dropped it? It doesn't make much sense. If he found it on the floor, surely he would know she had been in the room.
2) If she feels nothing for him, then why is her heart crushed when she tells him about the bruise on her left cheek?
3) If Jessie loves Susannah, then why is he doing all of this to her?
4) How are they supposed to be together?

The good thing about the chapter (other than it's amazingness after those few things) is how it ends. It makes the read beg for what's happening next. This was good.

Kay Kay says...

Thanx for critting. You'll be surprised as to what happens in the next couple of chapters. :D :D :D

Mattie wrote a review...

I liked this story. I can't wait to read what new stuff you'll have for Susannah to find out in the next chapters. It's getting better by the day! Here's my favorite part and thought you did a great job on:

“What was that for?” he asked.
“For apologizing….”
“Jessie, I do not understand.”

I loved that part and you made the reader want to read more. I hope you don't make her fall for him. He's such a jerk. :) Of course...you could have him change his ways. I'm just rambling here though. Don't pay any attention to it. ;)

Sat Apr 09, 2005 8:41 pm
Firestarter wrote a review...

I thought that was quite well-written, except some of the dialogue didn't seem very believable. For instance -

"“But darling, I am not sorry about what we did.” Now, I'm not totally sure of your characters, but in usual conversations, most people would say "I'm" instead of "I am".

Same for "do not" and "don't". I think it might improve your piece if you changed these.

Sat Apr 09, 2005 8:35 pm
Harley says...

Yeah, this is really good! I only saw one spelling mistake- lye should be lay. I loved it!! Definitely one of the best on here.

Sat Apr 09, 2005 7:10 pm
Sam says...

*YUSSSS*

Kay Kay, you have no idea how much this rocks. Seriously...it's one of the best stories on the site.

Think left and think right and think low and think high. Oh, the thinks you can think up if only you try!
— Dr. Seuss